Tucking the plank ends into that transom was quite challenging. During the lofting we didn't quite determine what would happen in this area. So we left the bevel on the transom flatter than was needed. So, a bit of chiseling ( see below) was neccessary to make things come together.
Planking should become easier from now on. Up to now, we have had to steam both ends of each plank...
We've also had problems with the transom itself. It started to split right accross. Maybe the bolts were a bit shank-bound. Or maybe the timber was just drying out too fast.We took off the transom, relaminated it and put it back into place.
To learn more about the way we do clinker planking, please visit http://boatbuildingskills.blogspot.com/
You will also find info there on our upcoming workshops